FX TD (CFX) – Super Pets (Vancouver)
Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a FX TD. The FX TD is responsible for supporting the technical objectives of the FX /Character FX team through tool development, technical direction, pipeline troubleshooting, and artists support. They will work closely with Artists, Character FX Lead, FX Supervisor, cross site FX Department TDs and R&D teams to ensure a common and standardised approach to the workflow, tool development and support. Specifically focusing in the areas of simulation and deformation techniques for skin, cloth, fur, hair and feathers in Houdini. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the FX Supervisor and Artist Management.
- Understand the visual requirements for the film, and design procedures, techniques and tools that will enable these to be met
- Assist the FX/Character FX team with day to day issues and escalating through the right channels when necessary
- Ensure that tools and procedures support the creative process
- Provide solutions to visual problems through existing tools or by leading development of new tools
- Test and validate new releases of pipeline tools both interactive (Houdini) and automated (Farm) within these Production tool and Farm environments
- Liaise with R&D to ensure compliance with internal best practices
- Understand the processes of adjoining teams, provide input where required to maximise efficiency and quality
- Create and update technical documentation for FX/Character FX processes
- Establish close partnership with FX/Character FX artists and other TD groups
- Work closely with the Character FX Lead and FX Supervisor to plan, develop, and maintain department specific tools and plan for the future show/studio creative needs
- Provide training and documents to the artists for new creative tools
- 3 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature
- Proven pipeline TD experience in animated features, animated TV series and/or VFX feature films
- Solid understanding of Character FX simulation and deformation techniques for skin, cloth, fur, hair and feathers
- Experience using and troubleshooting in Houdini software
- Knowledge/experience in Python language
- Working knowledge of source control systems, PyQt or other GUI toolkit
- Experience in Ziva, Maya, Mari, Nuke, XSI considered a bonus
- Working knowledge of concepts like data flow, data dependencies, Meta data, publishing and retrieval
- Degree in Animation, Film, Computer Science, Design, Engineering, Maths or Physics, or equivalent combination of education & work experience in animation/VFX
- An ability to quickly acquire a working understanding of both off-the-shelf and proprietary software tools
- The ability to code review and troubleshoot problems as they arise
- The ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work and remain calm under pressure
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Excellent in pro-active problem solving and finding solutions within the parameters presented
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment
Salary range CAD$80 – 130k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have teams based in Sydney, LA and most recently Vancouver, within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part has just wrapped, with more animated features in the pipeline including DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
Animal Logic is currently in production on Peter Rabbit 2 and Super Pets. Recent productions include Captain Marvel, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.
To apply for this job please visit www.animallogic.com.